Population/Setting/Length: High School Ages, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: 2/15/16
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
Materials/Resources: Yoga mats in a circle
- Belly Breathing
- One Minute Exploration – “Think of a time when you felt supported. Who supported you? Were they in your friend, family, school, church community? Notice how that felt. Maybe you felt surrounded, not alone, stronger, calmer, loved. Now think of a time when you offered support to someone. How do you suppose that person felt with your support? You are going to carry your thoughts of support and community with you during our practice and activity today.”
- Cobra – Roll over onto your belly, push up into cobra.
- Downward Dog – then walk feet forward to forward bend.
- Mountain – Slowly stand to mountain. Activate your muscles. Noticing those around you standing strong and tall.
- Yoga Flow – DD, lunge, W1, W2, Tr, lunge, plank repeat (4x) (Checking knee alignment). Notice how you feel in Warrior 1 and Warrior 2. Look toward your hand at the back. Think about the people in your community who supported you to get where you are today? Look toward your hand in front of you. Think of the goals for yourself. What kind of support will you need to reach those goals? DD, walk feet forward to forward bend. Slowly stand to mountain. Come to the top of the mat.
- Community Tree – Is it easier or harder to balance on our own? As a forest? How does this relate to our community? Look around at the faces around you. Notice how you feel when you are supported. Notice how you feel when you support one another.
- Volcano Breath
- Yoga Flow – Swan dive, plank, twist, rock and roll.
- Past, Present, Future Activity – and worksheet
- Affirmation – Being part of a community helps me meet my goals and support others to meet theirs.
Instructor: Sarah Firkus
Goal: Focus on Community, those who support us, those who we support, goals for ourselves.