Instructor: Cynthia O’Connell
Community: High School Ages, After school group, Boys and Girls Club, 40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: June 6, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Where do we get our strength from? What are positive ways to use strength?
Props/Music Resources required: laptop for music, sphere, mindful moments cards, pencils and Strength worksheet, mats
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere student lead, 5- 10 breaths
- Pulse Count – Find your pulse
- Mindful moments card – Strength (student reads) – Hal Borland said, “If you would like to know strength and courage welcome the company of trees.” What did he mean? Discussion of the phrase, and where does your strength comes from.
- Exercise – where does your strength come from? Heart, head, gut. I will push each student, asking permission first, while they do the tapping of the body part.
- Mat 20 – Now that you know where you get your strength from, think about this you as you practice each pose. Repeat Mat 20.
- Warrior I
- Warrior II
- Warrior II – other side
- Warrior I – other side
- Breathing – 5 breaths with sphere
- Strong Voice Worksheet – I will read the questions while students sit and listen to the questions first. Then students will complete the sheet.
- Discussion – After students complete sheet discuss the positive ways that strength can be used.
- Progressive relaxation – starting with 5 breaths.