Instructor: Rebecca Beese
Community: High School Ages, Adolescent Psychiatry Unit, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 19, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Chime – x2 – thumbs up when you can’t hear the chime.
- Introduce Listening – Different types of listening. Why it’s important to tap into and listen to our inner voice.
- Intention – as a way to listen to our internal needs and reconnect with our inner voice. Have student’s share their intention.
- Arm Strength Test – using a different name and own name as a way to recognize different ways we can listen to our body.
- Shoulder Circles – listening to the body and not going beyond what feels comfortable. Having to listen to your partner – see if you can listen without saying words.
- Partner Pull
- Mountain to Mountain
- Star to Warrior 2 with Past, Present and Future Activity – Activate it star. In warrior 2, first side look at back hand, hold it palm up. Notice where your torso is – adjust so that it is over your hips. Acknowledge your past and what you have been through. If there is anything from your past that isn’t serving you any longer, imaging yourself blowing it away with your out breath. Come to the present. Star. Feel you body strong in this pose. Come back to intention. Do a gentle back bend, heart opener. Warrior 2, second side, look to front hand. How do you envision yourself in your future? How can you use your intention and awareness of the present to help move into your future in a healthy way? Come back to star.
- Forward Fold in Star – leading with heart, focusing on awareness of the breath.
- Mountain/Roots – listen to your body and find your center.
- Crescent Moon – stay rooted into the foot you are leaning away from.
- Twist – holding on each side for several beats, allowing stillness to happen.
- Relaxation – Boat ride guided imagery – meet yourself but you are ten years older. What message do you have for yourself?
- Volcano Breath – coming back to intention.