Instructor: Rebecca Beese
Community: High School Ages, Adolescent Psychiatry Unit, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 19, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Chime – x2 – First to bring attention, second to focus attention. Thumbs up when you stop hearing the bell.
- Belly Breathing – (5-10 breaths) – Feel your body connected to the earth, feeling you the beneath you supporting you, allowing your seat to rest heavy. What does it mean to feel grounded? Does anyone help you to feel ground? Who is it difficult for you to feel grounded when you’re around them? How about any circumstances?
- Set an Intention – powerful tool to help you stay grounded throughout your day.
- Seated Cat/Cow
- Mountain/Roots – feel your feet firmly rooted and connected to the ground, giving you support. Hug your muscles to your bones.
- Mountain to Mountain – with Child’s Pose added after Cobra – staying close to the ground can help us feel more grounded. Repeat 3-4x. In Mountain, prompt to reconnect with breath and intention.
- Warrior 1 – holding for 20 count feeling your body strong and grounded. Activate your legs and arms.
- Tree – Feel the four corners or your foot pressing into the ground. What helped you to maintain your balance? Tree again with Volcano Breaths focusing on intention to help stay grounded.
- Knees to Chest – feeling your back press into the floor, gently massaging the spine.
- Relaxation – Gentle leg pull to help ground body. Progressive muscle scan, allowing your body to melt into the floor feeling completely supported by the earth below you. Could also do a mountain guided imagery
- Volcano Breath – to close class