Instructor: Beth Nelson
Community: Grades/Ages??, Classroom Setting?
Plan Creation Date: February 27, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Breath Work – Belly Breathing with two students leading the Hoberman ball exercise (one student expanding and contracting the ball, another counting the breaths
- Opening Remarks – Today in group we are practicing stillness and being calmly present with our bodies and thoughts. Begin by noticing what thoughts you are bringing with you as you begin group today. Notice the energy in your body. What pictures come up on your screen when you think of being calm and still?
- Yoga-based Activities – Child’s Pose, Cat/Cow, Downward Facing Dog, Forward Fold, Mountain Pose, Hands at Heart Center
- Social/Emotional Game – Trust Walk and Tree Circle (listen quietly to sounds of music, drumming, and move quietly (like a cat) around the middle of the circle area)
- Discussion – Who was more comfortable leading? Following? What was it like to trust another and quietly follow them?
- Relaxation – Guided relaxation on mat (i.e., Floating on a Cloud, quietly noticing the clouds in the sky, imagine a cloud floating down to invite you to ride on top of the cloud…etc.) from Children’s Book of Yoga