Instructor: Beth Nelson
Community: Grades/Ages??, Classroom Setting?
Plan Creation Date: February 27, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Breath Work – Invite group to listen to the Zenergy Chime. Next, let them know that you will ask them to take a deep breath in through their nose just prior to your tapping the chime, and that you will re-tap the chime on the out-breath (initially making the breath cycling shorter, gradually increasing the length.) Then, tell them you will tap the chime one last time, and that when you notice that the sound is no longer reaching your ears, put your hands together in the heart center pose.
- Opening Remarks – Remind the students that it is important to listen to our own bodies as well as listening to others…to be aware of words in our heads and messages from our bodies in order to then transfer to listening to sounds around us and words from others.
- Yoga-based Activities – Volcano Breath, Mountain Pose, Upward Mountain, Forward Fold, Lunge with left foot forward, Downward Facing Dog, Lunge with right foot forward, Downward Facing Dog, Plank Pose, Cobra Pose, Downward Facing Dog, Jump forward to Chair Pose, Mountain Pose, Partner Pulls (all three)
- Social/Emotional Game – Communication Game
- Discussion – What noticed when doing the game—what heard/saw/felt (physically and affectively)
- Relaxation – Changing Channels (guided imagery emphasizing what hearing on the different channels….tone, volume, content)