Instructor: Carrie Green
Community: Classroom Setting??, Grades/Ages??, Head Start students
Plan Creation Date: October 29, 2009
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman sphere 10 breaths. Shut eyes and listen to stillness. Let each child share how they breathe with “Hoberman”.
- Pinwheel Breath – With our pinwheel in your hand, purse your lips as if whistling or blowing bubbles and blow out to spin the pinwheel. Let each child share how they make the pinwheel spin.
- Mountain Pose – feel your feet root to the ground heavy.
- Upward Mountain – now reaches arms up, palms face each other and fingers extend up. Reach up as high as you can keep your feet planted on the ground.
- Crescent Moon – Now bend to the right and then left. Imagine that you are sending laser beams out through your fingertips.
- Volcano Breath– Imagine your breath rising up deep from the earth, like a volcano. Variation: The children like to be in “frog pose” and then shoot their volcano’s up and out with sound effects and all.
- Star – Standing with feet together on the count of three, jump feet wide apart and reach arms out. Spread fingers like rays of the sun.
- Superman – Lie on belly with arms outstretched in front of you, thumbs pointing up. Point your toes and fingers out away from you. Lift your head. Pretend you are Superman flying through the air. Take a deep breath.
- Ask children to lie on back and be very still for 30 seconds.
- Child – Kneel on the floor. Place hands on the floor to make a pillow. Rest head on hands. Relax. Breathe.
- Ask students to slowly come up and sit “criss-cross applesauce”.
- We then give ourselves a big hug and say “Thank you body for working so hard”