Instructor: Beth Nelson
Community: Grades/Ages??, Classroom Setting?
Plan Creation Date: February 27, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Breath Work – Have students lie on their backs with a hand on their tummies (their thumb on their belly button) and read them The Boy and The Bear to teach belly breathing.
- Opening Remarks – Ask students how they think the boy connected with the bear…..and how they connect with others at school and home by doing activities together, talking together, etc. Give examples. See if students have more examples.
- Yoga-based Activities – Mountain pose, Tree pose (notice connectedness to ground, feel support of all of your toes/muscles in toes and legs and torso…spread your toes to get even more support and connectedness with the ground), Tree Circle, Tree, Tree Circle again. Notice differences when have support from others/connection with others, Down dog, Fold, Down dog, Tree, Star, Warrior II, Warrior I, Star, Warrior II on the other side, Star, Forward fold, Down Dog, Plank, Cobra Child’s Pose.
- Social Emotional Activities – Think of all the connections you have with people at school and people in your family. Do Community Circle activity, writing in names of people who are in your different levels of circles
- Relaxation – Do guided imagery of connections they have with different people in their school community….walking through their day….with their bus driver,with their teacher, classmates, office staff, cooks, day care, etc….and how they would be missed if they were absent…that others notice and look forward to seeing them again.