Instructor: Jenifer Trivelli
Community: Grades PreK – 5, Community Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 24, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – seated on mats, take deep breaths into the belly. Invite students to feel the places in their legs and sit bones that are supported by the ground.
- Mat Drumming – guide students to follow the instructor’s drum beat by drumming their hands and fingers on their mat.
- Boat – Invite a student leader to demonstrate. Have students imagine they are a boat on the ocean. Invite them to imagine someone or something special to them inside their boat. Students can feel their stability in a soft, smooth ocean. Allow time for compliments.
- Alternate Arm/Leg Kicks – Choose a different leader. Pause for 30 seconds after completing to notice sensations of stability and solidity. Offer compliments.
- Mat 15 – invite a student to drum and one student to lead the class, drawing attention to places students feel rooted, connected, and stable. Offer compliments.
- Mountain – Choose one last leader for this pose. Stay here for several breaths as the
instructor directs students to breathe, activate, then expand by leaning slightly left, right, front, and back; making the movement as big as it can get while maintaining stability, then making it smaller and smaller until they find center. Offer compliments.
- Back Breathing – have student pairs practice back breathing on the lower back. Invite
students to imagine the warm sunshine on their backs as they expand with their breathing.
- Guided Relaxation/Chime – lead students visually on a journey to the center of the Earth in a safe pod contained by their yoga mats, through layers of rock and lava until reaching the core. Stay here for 15 seconds or so. Direct students to imagine themselves coming back towards the surface each time the instructor rings the chime (3x) until they are back to the room. Invite them to wiggle their fingers and toes before rolling over and gently returning to a seated posture.