Population/Setting/Length: Grades K-3, School Setting, 30-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: 11/16/16
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Chime – Class will be seated at desks. Begin lesson using the chime to bring group together. Ring chime once to gather the attention of the group. Ring another time, and ask students to raise their hands when they no longer hear the sound of the chime. Have students sit quietly for one minute.
- Belly Breathing – Demonstrate proper breathing and proper posture for the group. Instructor will lead one round of breathing, and then student will lead the next.
- Mindful Moment – Read a Mindful Moment card for Listening with the group. Have students share their responses.
- Focusing Yoga Sequence – Have students stand at their desks, Guide them through the Focusing Routine, which includes the following sequence: Upward Mountain, Forward Fold, Upward Mountain, Tree-right and left side, Eagle-right and left, Forward Fold, Upward Mountain, Head on the desk.
- Archetype Game – Move students to an open space in the classroom. Guide the class through the Archetype Game, utilizing several different types of characters. Instructor can use a drum to move the class around the room, and can use a student to assist or lead.
- Trust Walk/Sensory Adventure – Guide the students through the Trust Walk/ Sensory adventure. Students will need to be assigned partners, and will lead each other to different objects in the classroom. Music can be turned on for this part of the lesson.
- Listening Yoga Poses – Have students stand in Listening Poses for 10 counts, Include the following: Roots-in both directions, Warrior I, and Warrior II.
- Pinwheel Breathing – Have students sit on the floor or return to their seats. Model Pinwheel breathing for the group, and practice a few rounds. Ask a student to lead the next round.
- Happiness Recipe – Guide the group through the “Happiness Recipe” worksheet. Questions can be read out loud, depending on the level of the group.
- Compliments – Ask students to share compliments regarding what they saw during the lesson.
Instructor: Jennifer Clearwaters