Instructor: Julia Peterson
Community: Grades K-1, Pre-Writing Class, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: June 15, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Class Environment: Center station with container of fun pencils, fidgets, and overhead light covers, and calming CD, Hoberman sphere
- Belly Breathing – while seated as a small group around the kidney bean shape table, select one student who will lead with the Hoberman sphere, and another counting off a selected number of breaths, then ask the group to give 2 compliments.
- Mindful Moment – now sit still and take a look at the different pencils in the cup and be thinking of a story a pencil could tell if it had the power to talk.
- Yoga Calm Chair 15 Sequence – stand in mountain tall and still and inhale and move into upward mountain, now into forward fold, to lunge with right leg back and lift arms to the sky, arms back to chair for chair dog, lunge right leg forward, lift arms to sky for upward lunge, bend body forward, lift both arms up to the sky for chair pose, push arms up to upward mountain, and pull arms back into chest for mountain pose.
- Twist – in chair side to side to relax body and continue with stillness.
- One Minute Relaxation – think about what the pencil might be trying to tell you.
- Writing Prompt – now write and/or draw pictures of the story the pencil would want to share.