Instructor: Anna Hayek
Community: Grades K- 5 Afterschool Class, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 11, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Chime – Ring chime
- Belly Breathing – with the Breathing Ball - Student Led
- Review Ground Rules – Today we are focusing on listening. Then go outside in nature and listen to nature sounds and/or listen to recording of nature sounds. If inside, have an item of nature as a focal point as students practice listening. We listen to many people and many things outside ourselves in our lives. But we also need to listen to our own hearts, minds and bodies.
- Mat 20 – possibly adapted for group. As you go through the poses, make sure that you are listening to your body. If something doesn’t feel good, don’t go too far. If you think you can challenge yourself, go a little deeper. Remind students to activate their muscles. Talk about what that means to them.
- Mat Tag – With drum to beat out how fast or slow. Make sure you are really listening to each other and your bodies.
- Modified Happiness Recipe – sharing with a partner in a circle with some of the prompts rather than writing down. I will give them a yoga pose to practice so I know they are done sharing. Give sheet as something they could fill out later (with me) or at home. Prompts: My favorite activities: (When finished go big toe to big toe and show me a lunge.) How I spend my time alone: (When finished go palm to palm and show me tree pose.) How I spend time with others: (When finished go finger to finger and show me Warrior 2.) Things that make me feel happy: (When finished go pinky to pinky in Star.) How do I ask for help when I need it: (When finished go shoulder to shoulder in Mountain.) Shake it out…then talk about it.
- Forward Bend
- Warrior 2 – Activate muscles by making them firm and strong, Expand away from the center line of your body by reaching your arms and feet out out and getting bigger in space.
- Star – See if you can get that same feeling of active muscles and expanding your body. *If time allows have a student lead flow: Forward Bend, Warrior 2, Star
- Bridge – Lay on backs for Bridge
- Belly Breathing – with stuffed animal on their belly
- Relaxation – Listening Card Take a moment to listen to your body. What is it feeling right now? Is it trying to tell you something? Is it peaceful and content?
- Belly Breathing – with the breathing ball, Student led.