Population/Setting/Length: Grades 9-12, School Setting, Special Education, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: 12/1/16
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Seated Roots – Feet on floor, feel the energy from the ground up through the floor to the bottoms of your feet. Moving up your legs to your seat. Move your body side to side, up and back finding the center of your seat. From the center of your seat grounded move your upper body in clockwise and counter clockwise circles, getting smaller and smaller until body stops. Keeping your seat and feet grounded. Feeling circle in the inner body. Feel breath with hands on belly, ribs, and collar bones/upper lungs. Breath into each area.
- Belly Breathing – with drum beat. Three beat in, four beat out. 5 rounds. Sit in comfortable position on the floor.
- Seated Roots – on floor- sitting on the floor- same thing as in chair with upper body.
- Belly Breathing – Lay back onto your back on the ground, feeling the support under your entire body. Place hands on belly and feel breath. Thinking about a time when you felt grounded and calm.
- Morning Stretch – laying on ground – stretch your hands over head, and your feet away like you might stretch in the morning in bed. Push out through your right hand and side and then your left hand and side, alternating between sides back and forth until you feel balanced.
- Crescent Moon – on floor with your hands over head, move both your hands, arms, head and upper body to the right, keeping your body grounded, then switch to the left side.
- C – spine – same thing as crescent moon but adding in the feet and legs. Moving your upper body to the right and your lower body to the right to make a C shape on the right, stretching the left side of the body, switching sides.
- Relaxation – Sitting up in comfortable seat, feeling the effects of working on the ground with entire body on the ground. 30 seconds.
- 10 Minute Write – Write about a time when you were laying on the ground feeling calm, where were you, who was with you, what were you thinking, how long were you there?
Instructor: Shawna O’Neal