Instructor: Jennifer Faircloth
Community: Grades 6-8, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 26, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – Have students practice belly breathing while the community theme is introduced. Ask students to close their eyes and think of people in their community; people who help them in their lives, like teachers, friends, bus drivers, etc.
- Pulse Count – Have students take their pulse for thirty seconds. Rest quietly.
- Rock and Roll to Boat – Have student keep the beat with a drum. Rock for four beats, then hold boat for four beats. Rock and roll to standing. Students give compliments to the drummer.
- Yoga Calm Mat 20 from Mountain to Mountain – Have student keep time with the drum. Transition for four beats, hold for four beats. Complete sequence three times with different student leaders.
- Tree Circle – Discuss the community within our ‘forest’ and working together to shield each other from the wind. Press into each others’ hands for support, then drop hands and complete Tree pose individually. Discuss how tree pose, vs. tree circle, felt and how our community can help provide support to us during challenging times.
- Twist – Done while sitting on their mats/carpet squares.
- Back Drawing – Have students turn to the right from their tree circle, and sit in a cross-legged position. Have students draw a gift for their peer and then whisper it to him/her.
- Relaxation – Progressive Relaxation, followed by a one minute vacation.