Instructor: Heidi Valdez
Community: Grades 6-8, Middle School Structured Learning Classroom, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 12, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Academic/Therapeutic/Other goals: Stillness and deep breaths create space between action and reaction – help kids to relate this to when they are frustrated/angry and need to cope to make better choices about how to respond.
Props/Music/Resources Required: Music & Cd player, Anjali Cd, chime, breathing ball, mindful moments cards
- Chime – to start – centers and focuses attention, kids know that this means the begin to class, listen to chime even if there are other sounds going on in classroom.
- Belly Breathing – with sphere – 2 different student lead and get to choose number of breaths, direct students to breathe in positive thoughts and let go of negative thoughts on exhale, they can give examples of positive and negative thoughts
- Mountain pose – activate muscles like superheroes, if there is a strong wind coming in your way, the mountain is stable – can manage the winds of the day without falling over. Think of how still a mountain is…still and strong.
- Chair flow 15 routine – stillness throughout, quieting all thoughts – especially negative
- Activate/Relax Walk – focusing on stillness to hear directions and shift attention from relaxed to activated walk. Adding in poses for the activate command. Have kids choose poses on the activate command.
- Child pose – promoting relaxation and deep breaths – have kids choose how many breaths.
- Mindful Moments Card – Have student choose “Stillness” mindful moments card – read to class and follow directions for imagination and relaxation. Give students an opportunity to share what they were imagining with class – creating sharing environment.