Instructor: Jaclyn Boyd
Community: Grades 6-8 Choir Group, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 21, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Chime – Close your eyes and focus in on the chime. When the sound stops, slowly bring your attention to the front of the room.
- Belly Breathing – w/ Hoberman Sphere – student leader and counter – Following student leader keep your hands on your belly and feel the expanse as you inhale and fall as you exhale. Feel your tailbone grounded into the earth.
- Pulse Count – Find your pulse and listen to the rhythm of your heart. Imaging you are playing the rhythm of your heart as a drum for 30 beats.
All activities in a circle:
- Volcano Breath – Exhale with a big eruption on “Shhhhh”.
- Roots – Feel long and strong roots growing from your feet, grounding you to the earth. As you explore how your weight can shift, know that your roots will keep you grounded.
- Chair – Sit back, muscles activated, hold yourself strong while your balance keeps you grounded.
- Tree – Practice keeping yourself grounded and anchored. Imagine a person who helps keep you safe, and imagine that person holding your foot firm to the earth.
- Tree Circle – Know that the other people in our choir can help to hold you balanced and keep you grounded.
- Back Breathing
- Mindful Moment Card – “Think of your favorite tree. Now imagine that you can plant that tree in a special place. Go to thatplace, dig a hole, and plant the tree. Imagine that you can see into the future and watch the tree grow tall.” Students share their favorite trees.