Instructor: Janina Haug
Community: Grades 5/6 and up, Classroom setting?
Plan Creation Date: February 27, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
This lesson is designed for older children probably grade 5/6 and up. It is also more appropriate for children who have been practicing yoga for some time/mid to end of year school year. This lesson would be good to do before an important field trip or school event.
Class Intention: Play Communication Game (pg. 109 in Yoga Calm book)
We will play this game before any Yoga based activities as a way for the children to become mindful and aware of their thoughts and others thoughts/feelings.
- Breath Work – Hoberman Sphere using partners to lead, 1 child manipulate the sphere and 1 child count – Do 6 breaths
- Pulse check
- Opening Remarks – “We have to listen to our bodies before we can listen to others”
- Yoga-Based Activities – Start standing- volcano breath, mountain, upward mountain, forward fold, R lunge, down dog, L lunge, down dog, plank, cobra, down dog, jump/walk to forward fold, chair, back up to mountain. Repeat this 2-3 times depending on children’s response.
- Partner Pulls – Really LISTEN to your body and your partners body.
- Social/Emotional Game – Communication Game- Have chart on board….Question/Topic- “Your friend wrote a mean note about you….”
- Relaxation – Changing Channels game (pg. 108)- Think of a time you were not her/his friend?