Instructor: Jane Hulett
Community: Grades 5-6, Summer School Setting, 85 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing
- Lesson Plan/Goal Community – Talk about community as a group of people that you spend time with. Ask them what are some of the communities that they have. (school, church, neighborhood, family, sports teams, 4H). What are some good things about being part of a community. (helping, caring, fun) What can make it hard sometimes? (people don’t get along, bullying) What are some things people do to help in a community? (clean up, volunteer). Discuss how our yoga class is a community and how we’ve helped each other.
- Community Circle Activity - fill out, decorate, share.
- Yoga Flow – As a community, create a yoga sequence on the whiteboard. Support ideas as they are given, arrange poses that flow well together. Do the yoga sequence.
- Relaxation – Think of someone in your family or a friend who is very special to you. Think of how they have supported you and some of the good times you’ve had together.
- Story – Lost and Found Boy helps a penguin back to the South Pole only to discover that the penguin just wanted to be with him. Discuss why I might have chosen this book. (The boy and the penguin were a community because the boy realized the penguin wasn’t lost, he just wanted to be with him.)
- Back Drawing – Teacher guided but switch to students’ suggestions.