Instructor: Tiffany Johnson
Community: Grades 5-6, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – Expand your tummy on the inhale, contract on the exhale
- One Minute of Silence – What does it mean to “belong? As humans we strive for a sense of belonging. As a community how do we strive to foster that sense of belonging?
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere- Invite two students up to lead (up to 5 breaths).
- Roots – Have students send roots into the ground from all four corners of their feet and then from their toes. Establish yourself in our community.
- Tree – Imagine being a strong independent tree. Activate your roots.
- Tree Circle – Create a circle of trees. You belong. We all belong. Acknowledge the differences that make us unique and wonderful.
- Tree – You are strong, beautiful and firmly planted in the ground.
- Roots – Our sense of belonging keeps us grounded.
- Use a variety of images of animals, people, places, etc. Have students choose one that they connect with and/or are drawn to. Describe.
- Relaxation – Mindful Moments Community Card: Think of all the people in your community that make your life better. You might think about the cooks, the people who collect garbage, the teachers, the people who grow food, and the people in the grocery store. Think of as many people as you can. How can you show these people that you appreciate the work they do?
- Volcano Breaths – send appreciation/positive thoughts to those people.