Instructor: Stephanie Swift
Community: Grades 4 – 6, Classroom Setting – Music room – After School Enrichment
Plan Creation Date: April 9, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Props/Music Resources required: Anjali CD & CD player; stones; Drum
- Visualization – “What does stillness look like? Sound like? Feel like?” 30 seconds
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere: Student led– “Place one hand on belly and one hand on chest. Breath from belly to chest.” Hold the stillness after the last breath. 2 minutes
- Mountain – “Press all four corners of your feet into the ground and lift the top of your head to the sky. Close your eyes and imagine that you are a big, strong mountain. Notice how you remain still throughout all time. As the seasons change from spring to summer to fall to winter, you remain still.” 1 minute
- Yoga Calm Mat 20 – Mountain to Tree with focus on stillness. “Notice postures that require you to be strong require you to find stillness first: lunge, plank, chair, and tree. Find your strength in your stillness.”
- Mountain to Mountain – Invite two students to lead – 20 minutes – Compliments for student leaders
- Tree Challenge I – Find stillness while partner tries to distract you. Switch. 5 minutes
- Tree Circle – Imagine a storm is blowing your branches; return to stillness. 5 counts each. Repeat 2 or 3 times. 5 minutes
- Pulse Count – 15 second count. Ask what the numbers were.
- Supine Twist – Practice Belly Breathing while in the pose.
- Relaxation – Slowly read the questions from the Calm Voice Worksheet; pausing after each for reflection. Share. 10 minutes