Instructor: Robin Hicks
Community: Grades 4-6, Skills group, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: June 28, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Positive self talk! Increase self-esteem.
Props/Music/Resources required: Breathing ball, colored words, Yoga worksheets
Create tone in the room: This is done with breathing ball and sitting in the connecting circle
- Belly Breathing – Students participated in using the breathing ball
- Chime – Students participated in using the chime
- Introduce the theme & activity – Explain to the students listening to yourself can create a peace of mind at times when everything is going wrong. Allowing students to talk about people and places that help them feel calm.
- Discussion – What is an inner voice? Allow students to give examples of the meaning~ Discussing with students how following your inner voice can help you make healthier choices. Give examples of a time when I have listened to my inner voice and avoided trouble.
- Breathing Activity – Have students sit in a chair with feet on the floor. Practice a breathing activity to help them ground and turn their awareness inside. It is helpful to play quite music. Slowly read the sentences to them on calm voice worksheet, opposite, pausing long enough for them to process the ideas that come to their minds. After reading ask students to open their eyes and fill out the page. This should be done without talking allow students to share their responses
- Downward Dog
- Chime – Doing the chime and allowing kids to listen.