Instructor: Robin Hicks
Community: Grades 4-6, Skills group, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: June 28, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Positive self talk! Increase self-esteem.
Props/Music/Resources required: Breathing ball, Chime, relaxation music, Community Circle
Create tone in the room: This is done with breathing ball and sitting in the connecting circle
- Belly Breathing – Students participated in using the breathing ball lead by one of the group members.
- Discussion – Have the students give examples of their communities and things that go on where they live and go to school. Discuss with students the ways that the community supports and challenges us.
- Introduce the theme & activity – Once in the community circle ask each group member pick a few names out the middle that is positive for them and represents who they are. Once all the names have been taken have each kid say it with their name for example “I am Robin and I am a helper”. Not each member will want to read but if they could pick someone in the community circle to read for them that would be great.
- Community Circle Activity – Ask group to close their eyes and think of the people in their community. Encouraging them to think of those they see every day and those they see once in a while. Ask them to think of people who help them in their daily lives such as teacher’s bus driver’s mail carrier and store clerks. Then give the group a community circle work sheet. Ask the student to place themselves I the center and fill in the circles around them with the names of people in their community the names the put in the inner circle are people in their community who may not be their everyday basis. Allow students to decorate and share their community and community support
- Upward Mountain
- Tree Circle
- Belly Breathing – Get group back together seated in their chairs ready to relax with the breathing ball.