Instructor: Lorilee Virnig
Community: Grades 4-5, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 29, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Belly Breathing – Practice belly breathing with Hoberman Sphere. Ask a volunteer to lead breathing. Leader picks a helper to count breaths. Ask class to offer three complements to the volunteer leader, leader offers one complement to helper.
- Read Mindful Moment Card on Strength – “Remember a time when you stood up for yourself or someone else. Where were you, and what did you stand up for? Think of the things in your life that are important to you and how you stand up for your beliefs.”
- Mountain – Activate muscles, be Mount Everest. “I am strong.”
- Warrior I – Energize superhero. “Can you find the strong voice inside of you?”
- Mountain – Activate Rocky Mountain Range. “I am strong” Note there are many
different sizes, ages, heights, etc. of the mountains in the Rockies.
- Warrior I – Energize superhero. “Where do you feel the strong voice in your body?
- Mountain – Activate Mount Kilimanjaro. “I am strong”.
- Standing Volcano Breath – Does your strong voice make you think of someone you
- Chair – Feel strength in your mind and body. “I can do it”.
- Forward Bend – It is ok to have strong emotions. “I am in control”.
- Downward Dog – Press all four corners of hands and feet into ground and activate.
- Child’s Pose – Bend knees deeply, relax into pose, feel ever-present breath in back.
- Pulse Count – Find pulse and feel the strong, steady beat of your heart.
- Relaxation – Read Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage To Be Who You Are