Instructor: Melanie Harper
Community: Grade 4-5, School or Yoga Studio Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 22, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – with Breathing Ball
- Candles – I am here
- Yoga Flow – Woodchopper, roots, arm swings, mountain, forward fold, star, chair, warrior 1, warrior 2, mountain, forward fold.
- Yes/No Game – using the bolsters behind the kids yoga mats to form an outside circle and having the kids find the butterfly.
- Yoga Flow – Downward dog, cobra, downward dog, dolphin, bow, child’s pose, boat, leg extensions foot circles, rock and roll, boat, bridge, rock and roll, table.
- Read book – “I got community” by Melrose Cooper
- Guided Relaxation – Lay down and just relax your body, relax your head, relax your arms, your back, and stomach, let your legs feel heavy and just close your eyes. Take a deep breath in and out. I want you to think about a time that you spent with someone who cares about you very much and you felt supported. Where were you at? Home, school, or somewhere else, inside or outside. Who was there with you? Maybe its someone in your family, mom, dad, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, or perhaps it was a friend, a teacher. What did this person do to help you feel wanted, loved, and supported?
- Sharing – Have students share their experience about feeling supported.
- Art – Community Coloring Pages