Instructor: Jeanine Long
Community: Grades 4-5, Boys with anger issues, Classroom Setting?, 30-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: July 9, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Props/Music/Resources Required: Big Ballon script, On the Day You were Born book.
Calm – 10 min.
- Deep Breathing – with the release of tension, anxiety or anger. Use the script from Big Balloon found in Ready…Set…Relax! Pg. 77 – Take a deep breath and remind yourself you are in control, you can breathe out your anger.
- Pulse count – for 15 seconds – You are in control, you are powerful, and you are strong.
Activate – 20 min.
- Conflicting Feelings – Present the boys a situation that provokes anger and calm, perhaps using a situation that is familiar to them. I.e. conflicts at recess or at lunch. You are safe here. Your feelings are not bad. It is your body’s way of letting you know something is wrong.
- Mountain Pose – Hug into your center; spreading your toes and pressing out evenly through the four corners of your feet. Close your eyes and think of a strength a healthy way to use it.
- Partner Pull – Turning to the person next to you, secure yourself and support your partner while you bend your knees and sit back until your thighs are almost parallel to the floor. Share your joy with your partner. Come up and repeat on the other side. Ask a pair to demonstrate to the group from the front of the room sharing with the group the joy they sent to each other.
Calm – 5 min.
- Scripted Relaxation – Guide the boys through a scripted relaxation with On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier. You are enough, just the way you are. You have the ability to use your strength in positive and powerful ways.