Instructor: Jeanine Long
Community: Grades 4-5, Boys with anger issues, Classroom Setting?, 30-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: July 9, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
Props/Music/Resources Required: Hoberman sphere
Calm – 10 min.
- Belly Breathing – with the Hoberman Sphere – Invite a student to use the Hoberman sphere to demonstrate breathing and lead the class in 5 deep breaths.
- Pulse count – for 15 seconds – You are part of this group and we are our own community. You can safely express your feelings here and we will respect them.
- Volcano Breath – Invite a student to lead the class in volcano breaths and ask the boys to share who they sent their thoughts to upon completing the cycle. Think of someone you want to send your heart thoughts to. And on your next breath send your thoughts out to that person.
Activate – 30 min.
- Chair 15 – At appropriate points throughout the flow discuss their challenges with dealing with their anger have created a community among them; one in which they can rely on each other for support. End with a one minute exploration of the following activity.
- Community Circle – Ask the boys to close their eyes and think of people in their lives. People they see daily at school and at home. What part do these people play in your world? How do you gain support from them? Give students the community circle worksheet and allow them time to complete it. Allow them an opportunity to share it with the group.
Calm – 5 min.
- One minute exploration – Ask them to think of a favorite time with a friend or a family member. Discuss with them a person who provides them with a strong feeling of support; someone that helps them feel positive thoughts and feelings and then imagine a favorite time with that person. Provide a sticky note for each boy to write the name of that person for reminders in the future.