Instructor: Laura David
Community: Grades 3-8 (Ages 9-14), School Setting, 30-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Belly Breathing – Get heavy in your sit bones, head held high as if wearing a crown. Ask group how many breaths they would like to take. Invite 2 members to lead, one to lead breathe with Hoberman Sphere, one to count. Follow with compliments to the leaders by group members. (3 minutes)
- Chime – Ring chimes and then read Strong Voice Activity. (1 minute self-exploration of Strong Voice activity) (1 minute)
- Strong Voice – Completion of Strong Voice Activity sheet (10min) – once students complete they can share with a partner.
- Intro – Remind of positive self-talk: “I am strong. I am in control. I can do it. I can be responsible.” Today we are going on a journey, bringing a friend, to find a special tree that has nestled in one of its branches an item that helps us feel strong and safe.
- Mountain Pose – We begin our journey looking to where we want to go, with feet strong and rooted to the ground. (five beats of drum)
- Upward Mountain – We start up the mountain to our destination. (five beats of drum)
- Tree – We find the strong tree we are looking for. (five beats of drum)
- Tree Partner – With our partner we take a closer look at this strong tree.
- Side Angle – We decide to climb this tree, and take a closer look from every angle.
- Shoulder Clock – We help one another prepare our bodies so that we can be strong when climbing.
- Partner Pull – We agree to use one another’s strength to get this special item.
- Woodchopper – Using a strong and loud “huh”, we cut the branch off that has our special item.
- Forward Fold – We rest now, thinking on how this item gives us strength. It might symbolize an object, a family member or pet.
- Relaxation – One minute exploration of Mindful Moment card “Strength”. Each group member given copy of a different Mindful Moment card to self-explore. (If time students may share their card).