Instructor: Allyson Copachino
Community: Grades 3-6, Setting?, 30-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 1, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Belly Breathing – for 8 long breaths. Ask students to choose on spot to focus on as they breathe. Repeat 3 times with students leading the breath count.
- Silent Ball – Students stand in a circle as 1 ball is tossed from person to person. Add 2 or 3 additional balls.
- Rock and Roll – Students bring their knees to their chest, and inhale to roll back, exhale to roll forward. Have students pause in boat pose at the end of each roll. Extend the boat pose count each time they roll. Roll to standing.
- Activate/Relax – Ask students to notice the differences they feel in their bodies and mind when they activate and when they relax.
- Yoga Flow – Lead students through Warrior Flow – Mountain, Star, Warrior 2 (left), Star, Chair, Warrior 2 (right), Star. Have students continue to move through sequence 3 more times in silence without cues, noticing when they activate in their bodies and when they relax in each posture.
- Relaxation Pose – Ask students to come into a posture that makes their body feel calm and relaxed, their minds still.
- Relaxation – As students remain in the pose, ask students to think of a time in their minds they have had to calm down. What did they do? How did it make their bodies feel?