Instructor: Stephanie Rohwer
Community: Grades 3-5, Special Ed, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 15, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Group: self-regulation/social skills
Materials: Yoga Mats, Hoberman Sphere, Chime
Words: Be still, listen.
- Chime – Have students close their eyes. Ring the chime and listen to the stillness for 30 seconds.
- Belly Breathing – Have 2 student leaders come to the center of the circle to help lead their classmates in belly breathing with the Hoberman Sphere. One student will count while the other student slowly opens the sphere to indicate to the class to breath in deeply through their nose and closes the sphere to indicate to the class to exhale out through their mouth. After students have helped lead the class- classmates can offer up compliments encouraging the leaders in their strength.
- Mountain – Root into the four corners of your feet and stand strong in your legs, lift your heart up into “Mountain.”
- Upward Mountain – Draw both hands up and stand in your strength into “Upward Mountain.”
- Tree – Root foot down to the earth and kickstand opposite foot onto ankle, calf or upper thigh. Avoid knee joint. Grow your arms tall above your head like branches. Switch sides.
- Forward Bend – Draw your attention inward as you fold yourself down into a Forward Bend.
- Downward Dog – Step back into Downward Dog
- Child’s Pose – Drop your knees down to the mat, bringing your toes together and knees to the outside of the mat. Secure your body down into Child pose. Be still.
- Belly Breathing – Lie on your back; listen to the stillness (notice your breathing). Draw in breaths through nose to the count of 6 and breathe out through your mouth to the count of 8.
- Stillness Relaxation – Social/Emotional Component – Close your eyes and be still for 30 seconds – Notice what your senses are telling you. What do you hear? Smell? Taste? Touch? See? – Tell someone sitting near you about what your 5 senses noticed during those 30 seconds.