Instructor: Ashley Justen
Community: Grades 3-5, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Belly Breathing – Student lead Hoberman sphere belly breaths (3 different students lead 5 breaths each)- Compliments after.
- Discussion – Talk about the strength it takes to get in front of your peers and lead. Talk about the different kinds of strength- what do you think of when you hear the word strength? Physical, Emotional, Mental.
- Yoga Flow:
- Mountain – A mountain gets its strength from the ground and the stone it is made up of, where do you draw your strength from? Who helps you to feel strong?
- Roots – roots give the tree strength, who do you give strength to?
- Woodchopper – use your strong, controlled voice (5 times).
- Past, Present Future – Have student focus on a time they had difficulty controlling their emotions. In the past this situation occurred, in the present we can acknowledge we made a mistake and we can plan for the future and find ways to avoid making the same mistake. Acknowledging our mistakes takes strength, but a different kind of strength than physical strength. This takes emotional and mental strength. Complete worksheet after doing exercise with Warrior II.
- Belly Breathing – Student lead belly breaths with Hoberman sphere. Pass the sphere around the group circle asking each student to lead one breath. After the breath ask the student to share a time they felt strong.