Instructor: Lorilee Virnig
Community: Grades 3-5, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 29, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Chime – Listen to Chime – Put both hands on heart when ringing disappears into silence.
- Belly Breathing – Practice belly breathing with Hoberman Sphere.
- Volcano Breath – It takes many people to support a community. Ask children to think of community helpers, (e.g., teachers, grocery store workers, garbage collectors, mail carriers, nurses, doctors, firefighter, etc.). It does not matter if you know them or not. Exhale gratitude, kind thoughts, and good wishes to the people who support your community.
- Tree Circle – Demonstrates support of community. Activate and expand in tree pose before taking support from partners on each side. Notice difference between tree with support, challenge of transition, and tree practiced individually, both sides.
- Block Creek – Enjoy challenge and support from others, practice taking turns, develops trust and confidence in self and others.
- Compliment Game – Each child comes to center of circle and receives one compliment from each classmate. Encourage eye contact between giver and receiver.
- Relaxation – Read Scripted Relaxation from Ready…Set…R.E.L.A.X.