Instructor: Ashley Justen
Community: Grades 3-5, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman sphere Say “we are going to do this together, as a community.” Have the students sit in a circle and pass the sphere around for each breath. Do this enough times for each student to use the sphere at least once, aim for a minimum of 8-10 breaths
- Explain what a community is and what the benefits of a community are.
- Yoga Flow:
- Star (What do you bring to out community? What makes you shine?)
- Galaxy (Have students volunteer to share their “star quality”, What do you feel when we all come together with our strengths? Coming together and using our strengths to help is really what a community is all about)
- Forward Bend
- Upward Mountain (Positive thoughts about your community)
- Tree (Feet rooted firm to the ground, think of who gives your strength and pull your strength from that person right now)
- Forest (Still rooting your feet to the ground, now getting your strength from your community members, relying on one another to keep us safe and standing up)
- Upward Mountain (While in mountain think about the community and group we have here, think of a positive thought about this community, when we go into upward mountain picture that positive thought filling this room and being sent out to the group)
- Guided Creative Thinking – Have students sit or lie comfortably. Guide them through a day at school and have them recognize all the people they interact with and engage on a regular basis. Explain that this is your community, these people care about you and want you to do well. Have them think about what they could do to make their community a better place.
- Compliment Circle – End with the students sitting in a circle and giving a compliment to the person on their left.