Instructor: Karin Calde
Community: Grades 3-5, private yoga studio, home, or Girl Scouts
Plan Creation Date: April 1, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Volcano Breaths and Pulse Count – See if they can focus on their pulse while trying to distract them.
- Mat 15 Flow – Mountain to Mountain – While you’re still in Mountain Pose, feel your feet firmly on the ground – pretend you have four corners on the bottoms of your feet and notice how the ground can be like a magnet to those four corners, helping you to feel connected to the earth. Transition into Roots.
- Side-Angle – Even though you’re reaching up with that arm, hand, and fingers, your feet are still firmly on the ground as you stretch your body.
- Block Creek – Use “trolls.” Remind them to use their senses to help them feel
- Bridge Pose – Again, feel your feet, as well as your shoulders, firmly planted on the ground before breathing out and slowly raising up into bridge. Your feet and shoulders will keep helping you to feel connected to the earth as you hold the pose for three breaths.
- Relaxation Card – Imagine a tunnel that goes deep into the ground. Travel that tunnel into a small, cozy room deep inside the earth. What is in the room? Who is there? Notice how it feels to be inside this room. Allow students to rest for a minute, imagining their room. When they are done and sitting once again, ask for volunteers to share what they found at the end of the tunnel. Remind them that they can go to their special room any time they want to in their minds.
- Positive Self-Talk – Ask students to stand up again and repeat – I am strong, I am in control, I can be responsible, I can do it.