Instructor: Jamie Sheppard
Community: Grades 3 – 5, Classroom Setting?
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Quest for the Test – Pre-OAKS Testing Lesson
Academic/Therapeutic Goal: Focus, Self-Confidence, Anxiety Control
Props/Music: i-Qi timer on the iPhone, Hoberman Sphere
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere: 10 breaths. Pick a point on the Sphere and watch it go on and out. Don’t lose track of it.
- Discussion – How much energy and concentration does it take to focus only on that point? Explain that the brain is a muscle just like our other muscles. Just like we work our biceps, quads, abdominals we must train our brain too. Tests need brain strength and also the ability to work through anxiety/worry.
- Plank Pose Challenge – Focus on the muscles you are using. Try to hold your concentration on those muscles. Hold for 3 counts. Rest for 3. Hold for 5 counts. Rest for 5. Hold for 7. Etc. (Let a student beat on the drum. Give compliments after.)
- Changing Channels Activity – Close eyes and notice what comes into your mind. We are going to pretend like our mind has a remote control and we are going to practice changing the channels on it. You’ll hold it until you hear the chime and then we will change the channel to something new.
- Rolling a snowman in a snow covered field.
- Helping your mom knead the masa for Tamales and smelling them cook.
- Flying on the back of an eagle.
- Swimming in the pool.
- Let students choose 2.
- Last channel: Taking the test and knowing all the answers.
- Yoga Pose Challenge – Chair pose, Hold for 5 counts, then into upward mountain. 10 counts, then mountain. 15 counts. 20 counts. Finally 30. Again holding focus on the muscles that your are using.
- Relaxation – Read, “I Believe In Me!” by Connie Bowen. Explain “Self-Talk” and how the messages we say to ourselves can become true and take over. These are called Affirmations. Come up with your own in connection to your feelings about the OAKS. Chant out loud as a group. Using “Strong Voice.” Share/draw/illustrate if time allows.