Instructor: Andrea Witherspoon
Community: Grades 3-5, Community Group, Athletic Club Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
Props: CD player, CD, mats, breathing ball, Good People Everywhere, flowers, cotton balls, essential oil, yoga blocks, drum, bean bags, mindful moment cards, moving story, posters
- Welcome and overview of ground rules
- Introductions/Name Toss Game
- Belly Breathing – (breathing ball)
- Child’s Pose
- Mindful Moment Card (while in Child’s Pose) – “Take a moment to remember the names of all the people in your family. Think of aunts, uncles, grandmas and grandpas, brothers and sisters. Image them making a circle around you to help you when you are in need.”
- Roots – Start in mountain pose. Shift weight from right to left, then front to back. Feel the four corners of your feet. Make a circle as you shift your weight. Make the circle smaller and smaller until you are standing still.
- Tree Circle – press into the hands of your friends beside you. Do the tree circle in a windstorm.
- Tree Circle – with animals in the forest – Allow children to be in the circle and pick an animal to be while the trees stay grounded.
- Back Drawing – Light rain, heavy rain, lightning, thunder, puffy clouds, sun, and a gift. Allow children to share what they gave to their friend and then share with the group as well.
- Relaxation Story – Good People Everywhere