Instructor: Tabita Green
Community: Grades 3-5, After School Group, Parks & Rec Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 5, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Name Game – (I’m Tabita, I’m here. I see you.)
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere– talk to students about nose breathing, student leader w/ compliments.
- Listening to Chime– Ring chime and ask students to close their eyes and listen. When
they can no longer hear the chime, put their thumb up. Repeat and ask them what else they heard. (Intro to listening principle)
- Mountain – ask student to demonstrate, reminder of spread toes, press feet into the
- Activate/Relax Walk – use drum and ask students to listen carefully to the beat of the drum and move with the beat. When drum stops, activate!
- Roots –> Mountain – plant feet firmly and imagine roots growing from the bottom of
your feet into the ground. Listen to those roots growing!
- Forward Bend – press feet down, lengthen legs, bend a little bit deeper with each out
breath, come up in chair pose.
- Warrior I – listen to how you’re feeling on the inside as you hold this pose.
- Star –> Warrior II – feel the body activated and expand your arms, hands, fingers, etc.
away from your center.
- Child’s Pose – lie still and just listen to the music, relax after all that hard work.
- Trust Walk – Demo w/ student, note that guide should make person feel safe, no
talking (surprise guide), take turns being the guide and the person being guided.
- Floor Twist – hold pose and lie still and listen to the music for several seconds.
- Seated Volcano Breath
- Scripted Relaxation – Boat ride on p. 136 (listen & imagine)