Instructor: Josh Zeller
Community: After School Program, Grades 3-4
Plan Creation Date: February 22, 2009
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman sphere 10 breaths. Shut your eyes and feel your body slow down. Imagine that you are a tree and where ever your body is touching the ground, roots are growing deep down into the earth.
- Strong Voice – Can you find the strong voice in your body? Where do you feel it in your body? High or low? Loud or soft? Do you think of someone or something? What does it say? What can you do to find your strong voice when you are angry or afraid? When do you need your strong voice? See yourself using your strong voice? Share your experience.
- Boat – Feel the hull or bottom of your boat connecting with the water. Lift up the bow and stern of your boat. Let that strong voice surround your boat and help you.
- Table/Crab – Be strong king crab, walking on the bottom of the sea
- Plank and Side Plank – Now you’re a strong board floating on the sea. Straight and powerful, feel your strength…
- Standing Volcano – Feel deep down inside your mountain, there is a huge pool of lava, heating, feel the power deep inside, hear your voice.
- Sun Salutation (3X with different leaders) with a focus on strength – have the students be very powerful in warrior.
- Lightning Bolt – Legs compressed to the earth and feel the power like a lightning bolt in the sky.
- Woodchopper – Use all that power and your strong voice to chop some wood.
- Tree Pose – Feel how strong your roots, trunk and branches are.
- Eagle – Now you are an eagle flying through wind and settling on the tree. Alternate between tree and eagle (3X each side)
- Waterfall – Feel the strength of your rock wall and the power and weight of your rushing water, plummeting to the pool of water below.
- Lie back on in a giant pool of water, floating on your back. Feel the strength of the water below you and hear your strong voice….nice and slow, supporting you as you float and rest.