Instructor: Josh Zeller
Community: After School Program, Grades 3-4
Plan Creation Date: February 22, 2009
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman sphere 10 breaths. Shut your eyes and feel your body slow down. See if you can hear your breath or your heart beating inside.
- Boat – Feel the hull or bottom of your boat connecting with the water. Roll through each wave, staying connected with the water as you roll.
- Mountain – Be a strong tall mountain. Shut your eyes and imagine that it is snowing on you. Remember how peaceful the world is when it is snowing.
- Standing Volcano – Feel deep down inside your mountain, there is a huge pool of lava, heating up as your arms and you are now a volcano erupting as your arms come down, Make a rough and powerful breath, Darth Vader…Try to keep listening to this voice through sun salutations.
- Sun Salutation (3X with different leaders) with a focus on stillness – have the students be very still in warrior and plank
- Dancer – Legs compressed to the earth and arms blasting out into the sky
- Warrior 3 – Balancing and breathing
- Childs Pose – Release power breath and listen to your natural breath, feeling your back rise up like the swell of an ocean
- Calm Voice Worksheet – Where in your body is your calm voice? Is it high or low? Fast or slow? Who does it sound like? What does it say?
- Sharing Responses
- Lie back on in a beautiful green meadow, your breath is a cool breath of the person with the calm voice let that voice speak to you, whispering to you what to do when you feel upset.