Instructor: Caroline McGrath
Community: Grades 2-8, School Setting?, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 15, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Belly Breathing with Hoberman Sphere – Students notice their breath as it slows their minds down, feeling their breath as it fills their bodies up with strength. Student leader and counter – end with compliments.
- Volcano Breath – First set of 2 breaths: students send strength out to someone they feel needs some extra support. Second set of 2 breaths: students send strength to themselves. Third set of 2 breaths: students send strength to each other in the group.
- Changing Channels – Have students shut their eyes and notice what they are thinking about, what’s on their mind. Begin “changing channels” such as: a beach, a mountain, in the rain, being with people they care about, and ending in a place they feel safe. Ask the students: “When might this activity be helpful for you?”
- Rock and Roll – Have students roll forward and back massaging each vertebra. Then gently roll side to side and finish by rolling in circles with knees out to the side envisioning a big beach ball resting on their bellies.
- Boat – Knees bent, hands holding back of legs. If students are feeling strong, have them alternate each leg forward and back, ending with both arms stretched out straight as they balance in boat pose. Rock and Roll up into Mountain Pose.
- Yoga Flow – Mat 20 – For the second flow, have a student lead Mat 20.
- Twist – Ask the students to notice what parts of their bodies were strong for them today as their body is calming down.
- Mindful Moment Card – Choose a Strength card to read to the group.