Instructor: Caroline McGrath
Community: Grades 2-8, School Setting?, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 15, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing with Hoberman Sphere – Have the students sit with their hands on their knees, feeling grounded into the earth. Student leader and counter – end with compliments.
- Pulse Count – Ask students to feel the connection between their mind, body, heart and their pulse.
- Yoga Flow – Roots, Tree, Mountain, Upward Mountain, Crescent Moon, Star, Triangle, Dancer, Partner Pull.
- Past, Present, Future – Discuss the importance of the past creating the present and how it helps shape the future. Have students choose a rock and a flower (the flower doesn’t have to be real, can use fabric flowers used for crafts). Have students hold the rock in their back hand, representing those who have supported them in the past. Have students hold the flower in their front hand, representing the “blooming” future they have ahead of them. Have a conversation about being in the present moment as they hold on to the past, bringing those who support them with them, and bringing their strength into the future as they grow into who they want to become. Fill out worksheet and have students share.
- Cat/Cow – Hands and knees connected to the earth, walking in a grassy field and pasture.
- Child’s Pose – Ask the students to feel their bodies relax and sink into the earth. Tell students they can stay in Child’s Pose or move slowly to lay on their backs.
- Mindful Moment Card – Choose a Grounding Card to read to the Group.