Instructor: Jennifer Brandt
Community: Grades 2-6, After School Community Ed. Class, Classroom Setting?, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 14, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Props/Music/Resources Required: pinwheels, hoberman sphere, napkins, plates, cups, berries, chocolate, juice, hand wipes
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere – Have a volunteer come up to lead the breathing ball. They can chose someone to count. Keep the number of breaths under 10.
- Pinwheel Breath – Let the kids explore them for a minute first. Then ask them to try to spin the pinwheel as slowly as they can, using one long breath. See if they can do it for the count of 10. If someone isn’t engaged in the activity ask them to count. Try it in Tree Pose.
- Yoga Flow – Talk about 4 corners of the feet. I lead the first, 3 volunteers to lead the next 3 rounds.
- Forward Bend (Ragdoll) – Talk about how folding forward helps you feel calm inside. Maybe try the forward bend seated too.
- Mindful Snack – Clean our hands. Ask a volunteer to pass out napkins, plates, cups. Have someone pass out a berry and a piece of chocolate to everyone. I will pour juice. Talk about our senses. Go through them with the snack.
- Scripted Meditation – Imagine you are a robot. Turn off each part of your body until you are completely still.