Instructor: Jennifer Brandt
Community: Grades 2-6, After School Community Ed. Class, Classroom Setting?, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 14, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Props/Music/Resources Required: Hoberman Sphere, yoga pose cards, gentle music
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere – Talk about sitting bones and top of head and how lengthening will help you sit up straighter for breathing to be deeper. Have a volunteer come up to lead the breathing ball. They can chose someone to count. Keep the number of breaths under 10.
- Activate/Relax – Have a child demo Mountain Pose. Cue to relax shoulders and face – Activate. Then have them walk around – Relax. Do a few rounds. Ask them to try to walk feeling both. Ask them to stand still feeling both. Talk about when you use either or both of these.
- Yoga Flow – Talk about sitting bones and crown of head while in downward dog. I lead the first flow, 3 volunteers to lead the next 3 rounds.
- Pulse Count – Count pulse for 15 seconds.
- Yoga Pose Listening Game – I will guide them into poses with only my words, no demo, so they can only use their ears to figure out the pose. Then see if they can guess the pose they are in. Try as a group then maybe try one at at time, depending on how large the class is. Option to let the kids read directions off a yoga pose card so they can lead.
- Trust Walk/Sensory Adventure – Break off into pairs. Lead partner to touch 3 things. Guess what those things are.
- One-Minute Exploration – Plan a party for yourself and your friends. What kind of party? Inside or outside? Who would be there? What would you do? What food would be there? Smells? Sounds (music, pool water splashing, etc)?