Instructor: Kelly McLean
Community: Grades 2-5, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 20, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Intro – Today’s theme is strength. What do you think of when I say strength? Did you know there are 3 kinds of strength? Physical-strong muscles, Mental-focusing your attention and Emotional- able to release your feelings.
- Belly Breathing – with Breathing Sphere: 6 breathes, student leader, compliments.
- Pulse Count – find pulse, lead count while distracting them for 30 sec. what were your strategies for staying strong in their minds?
- One Minute Exploration – close our eyes, think of a time when you felt really strong. What were you doing? Who were you with? How did it feel in your body? What were your thoughts? Can you think of 3 things you do to make you feel strong? Share thoughts.
- Belly Breathing – demo belly breaths, ask student to lead, what kind of strength is necessary to get in front of a group?
- Rock & Roll – demo, roll back and forth, try side to side.
- Boat – demo rocking and rolling and stopping in boat. Feel the strength in your stomach muscle.
- Mountain Test – demo, practice activating your superhero, find partner and practice test on each other.
- Warrior Flow – demo star, warrior II and chair, practice each x2.
- Try this Flow – Star, Warrior II, Star, Chair, Warrior II, Star holding each pose for 8 beats.
- Star Circle – feel strength, press neighbors hands gently. Could you feel each other’s strength?
- Archetype Game – (drum) freeze, walk around like: Queen, warrior, villain/witch, trickster-fool (makes you laugh), friendly one, angel, monster, peaceful one.
- Guided Relaxation – lie down, close eyes, listen to boat story.