Instructor: Kelly McLean
Community: Grades 2-5, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 20, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Intro – Today’s theme is about stillness. Is there times when it is important to be still? When? Is it always easy to become still?
- Belly Breathing – with Breathing Sphere: 6 breathes, student leader, compliments.
- Volcano Breath – demo, remember a time when you felt very calm, try to get that feeling now and let’s spread that feeling around the room, share.
- Silent Ball – make eye contact-no talking, toss them the ball. Challenge: add another ball.
- Mat 20 – practice flow to beat of drum x3-4, leader.
- Poses – Upward Mountain (8 beats), Calf Lifts (2 up/2 down), Forward Bend (8), dog (8).
- Trust Walk – demo, half class close eyes other half pick a partner – hook finger, lead around room, make partner feel safe, look at body language. Who was your partner….open eyes! Switch partners. Did you like being lead or leading? Could you tell if your partner felt safe?
- Art Project – Make a mandolin using found objects. No talking-focus on own work. Play music-while creating art piece. Quietly look at each art, share thoughts.
- Twist – sitting crisscross, gentle twist to each side.
- Guided Relaxation – One Minute Exploration: lying down, imagine sitting very still by a lake. A momma deer and her baby come to the lake for a drink of water. You have to be very still so you don’t scare them away. Watch the mommy and baby deer as they drink water from the lake, then slowly walk back into the woods.