Instructor: Kelly McLean
Community: Grades 2-5, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 20, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Intro – Today’s theme is Listening. Listening not only to the sounds and voices we hear, but listening to our own bodies. Why do you think it is important to listen to your body? Do you listen to your body? When?
- Belly Breathing – with Breathing Sphere: 6 breathes, student lead-How many breathes do you think we need? compliments.
- Pulse Count – listen to your heart, teach how to find pulse, count for 30 sec. What was your count? Share your number.
- Volcano Breath – listen to your breath, Challenge: try closing eyes and listen to each others’ breath as we try volcano again. Share thoughts-easy/hard to follow?
- Cat / Cow – all fours, hands under shoulders knees under hips, lower head-curl back like cat, look up-drop belly like cow.
- Alternate Arm/Leg Kicks – stretch leg out, hips and legs level, lift arm thumb up, switch sides.
- Listening Game – listen to chime, practice thumb up when you hear it, try moving from star to crescent with the sound of the chime.
- Mat 20 – slow flow, 1-2 student leaders, compliments.
- Challenge Pose – dog, student lead, how long to hold? compliments.
- Personal Space – demo, make to lines, one side walks toward other…put hand up when close enough, do other side.
- Challenge – try without hands…read body language. What non-verbal clues did you get?
- Twist – lie down on mat, knees bent twist to one side, arms in T, look opposite side, take nice deep breaths and slowly let it out. Repeat other side.
- Guided Relaxation – think of something that makes a soft sound-write each idea down, close eyes, listen to journey of hiking through the dessert, add in all the things and the sounds we wrote down.