Instructor: Kelly McLean
Community: Grades 2-5, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 20, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Intro – Today’s theme is grounding. Does anyone know what I mean when I say grounded? Share, It means to feel connected to the earth? Why do you feel that might be important?
- Belly Breathing – with Breathing Sphere: 6 breathes, student leader, compliments.
- Belly Breathing – lie on back, feel weight of your body on your mat, make legs heavy, feel gravity holding you to earth. Picture a solid rock that goes deep into the earth and imagine how heavy that rock is.
- Back Breathing – partner, become a rock in child’s pose, feel rise and fall of breath.
- Mountain Pose – feel your feet rooted to the ground, heavy and grounded, feel all 4 corners of feet into the mat.
- Volcano Breath – student leader, imagine your breath rising up deep from the earth, like a volcano x4.
- Roots – circle body feeling edges of feet press into earth, imagine all the people in the world that make you feel safe…imagine them holding your feet to the ground. Go in the other direction, slowly making circle smaller and smaller until you are at center.
- Mat 20 – slow flow, try with drum, give turns with drum.
- Warrior II/Side Angle Challenge – hold pose, feel strength in whole body, past-present-future, 10 counts each side.
- Wood Chopper – Imagine a piece of wood on the ground in front of you, raise arms and chop wood making “huh” sound.
- Roots – stomping feet, feel earth under feet, feel grounded.
- Changing Channels – close eyes and imagine… share thoughts.
- Twist – seated on front crisscross twist each side.
- Mindful Snack – pick piece of artwork that speaks to you, put next to placemat. Serve crackers, fruit, cheese, treat, juice, enjoy, talk about where food came from. Share pictures and why you choose the one you did.