Instructor: Rebecca Andestic
Community: Grades 2-5, EDL Afterschool Program, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 1, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Props/Music Resources Required: chime, sphere, sensory items, Yoga Calm Book
- Volcano Breath – let out breath then still body and breath, inhale, exhale and still (3x).
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere (have student lead and decide on # of breaths)
- Warm up – either behind desk or on floor
- Child Pose; Cat /Cow; Alternate Arm/Leg Kicks (focus on holding for 3 breathes to promote stillness)
- Yoga Flow – Up Mountain—Forward Bend—to—High Plank—to—Low Plank—Cobra—Down Dog—Bent Knee Lunge (or Crescent lunge if hard on knees)—Warrior I—Up Mountain. Repeat sequence but step up with opposite leg for knee Lunge and Warrior I. (Repeat entire sequence 3 x including both sides if time allows).
- Tree; Dancer; Eagle – find a focus point across room to work towards stillness
- Trust Walk & Sensory Adventure (pg. 126) – After the trust walk, students lead their partners around introducing them to different objects and gently placing their hands on the objects; Partner tries to identify what the object is. Quiet, no talking. Remember you will guess who your partner is at the end!
- Seated Twist (each side)
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman used as visual to calm breathing down.
- Calm Voice Activity (pg. 107) – Read questions and have students just think about in heads; Discuss afterwards and share.
- Sit still – for 30 seconds to 1 minute…try not to fidget, just breathe.