Instructor: Andrea Keeley
Community: Grades 1-6, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 15, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Review of guidelines and theme
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere (seated on floor). One volunteer operates the sphere. One volunteer counts breaths. Operates chooses between 5-10 breaths. 2-3 compliments for both operator and counter.
- Volcano Breath – with one student volunteer for motions and one for the counter. Volunteer chooses number of breaths. 2-3 compliments for both operator. Send heart thoughts to someone on the last volcano breath and share with the group.
- Strong Voice – Complete this exercise individually and then pair up and share with partner.
- Woodchopper – Arms clasped overhead and chop the log. Volunteer for motions and counting. Volunteer chooses number of chops up to 5. 2-3 Compliments for leader and counter.
- Physical Warm-ups/Stretches:
- Cat (back like a rainbow)
- Cow (back like a bowl)
- Table with stretching/wiggling (back and forth, circles, figure 8’s, draw the alphabet)
- Downward Dog with leg stretches (remember hands like bear paws)
- Child’s Pose with arm reaches
- Pose Flow (each leg once or twice):
- Start in Upward Mountain (laser beams to the sky)
- Swan dive to Forward Bend
- Hands back to knees for Halfway Fold
- Back to Forward Bend (rag doll)
- Move to Bent Knee Lunge (right leg forward) with arms reaching to the sky
- Hands down and legs back to Downward Dog, peddling like a bike if needed
- Kick right leg back and forward to Bent Knee Lunge (same leg) with arms reaching to the sky shooting lasers out of your middle fingers
- Rise up to Warrior I (strong arms)
- Rotate to Warrior II (fingers reach to front and back of room)
- Reach back to the mat and move into Bent Knee Lunge (same leg) with arms up
- Hands down and legs back to Downward Dog (bear paws)
- Relax in your version of Child’s Pose
- Tree Challenge – Partner up and take turns in Tree and in distracting partner.
- Tree Circle – Form a circle with the group. Pose in Tree as a group (each leg). Create a storm and then get still. Have a few kids as distractors.
- Final Stretches:
- Rock and Roll
- Happy Baby
- Child’s Pose
- Relaxation – Guided Relaxation/Savasana – Pillar of Strength (pg. 129 in Relax book).