Instructor: Andrea Keeley
Community: Grades 1-6, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 15, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Discuss Grounding theme and tree-related activities and music.
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere (seated on floor). One volunteer operates the sphere. One volunteer counts breaths. Operates chooses between 5-10 breaths. 2-3 compliments for both operator and counter.
- Shoulder Clock – Pair up students side by side – Lift arms straight up, placing palms together at 12 o’clock. Breathe in, spread fingers like branches on a tree. Exhale and move arms to 1 o’clock. Repeat until 6 o’clock; switch sides.
- Physical Warm-ups/Stretches:
- Cat (back like a rainbow)
- Cow (back like a bowl)
- Rock and Roll/Boat Pose – rock three times on your back and hit the boat pose. After 3 boats, rock to standing without touching the ground.
- Grounding & Strength Section of Mat 20
- Start in Mountain (four corners on the ground)
- Shoot laser beams up for Upward Mountain
- Swan dive to Forward Bend
- Move to Bent Knee Lunge (right leg back) with arms reaching to the sky
- Hands down and legs back to Downward Dog, peddling like a bike if needed
- Move hands into a push-up position for Plank
- Lower your push-up to Cobra – hiss like a snake
- Push back up to Downward Dog(remember bear paws)
- Kick right leg back and forward to Bent Knee Lunge with arms reaching to the sky shooting lasers out of your middle fingers
- Back to Forward Bend
- Reach hands up to the sky and bend knees into Chair
- Stretch your body to the sky and to the floor for Upward Mountain
- Hands back to heart center for Mountain
- Relax in your version of Child’s Pose
- Changing & Mirroring Trees – Demonstrate changing the tree and have class follow. Ask for volunteer to lead with a strong, humorous, and flowy tree and have group follow. Partner up and have teams practice passing over the lead in tree.
- Final Stretches:
- Rock and Roll
- Happy Baby
- Child’s Pose
- Relaxation – Guided Relaxation/Savasana – Read Fall Fireworks about nature beauty in the Fall from Ready, Set, Relax.