Instructor: MaryClair Birkemeir
Community: PE Setting, Grades 1-3
Plan Creation Date: January 5, 2009
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Belly breathing – with Hoberaman sphere; 5 breaths, led by 1 student guiding the sphere and 1 student counting. Listen to each other’s stillness and see if you can be as still as your neighbor.
- Pulse count – listen to pulse for 15 seconds.
- Rock and Roll – repeat three times, pausing in sitting up position each time.
- Boat – see if you can go from rock and roll to boat smoothly and controlled like a big fairy boat on a calm ocean.
- Mountain – Think of your favorite mountain, why is it your favorite? Now look at yourself in a long mirror right in front of you and see if you can be that favorite mountain.
- Sun Salutation (2 times) with myself leading. Focusing on smooth transitions from one pose to the next.
- Tree Pose – Look out the window straight ahead and see if you can stand as still and strong as the tree your looking at. Think about what makes the tree stand so still, what can you do to become more like the tree in this moment?
- Pulse count – listen to pulse for 15 seconds. Compare pulse counts to prior to activating routine.
- Ready Set Relax – relaxation story with a repeated message of; “I can learn new things”.